Shadow storm

Theres a storm rollin in, 
battering against my windows 
like all the secrets that I keep 
buttoned up between my teeth
too large, but too little
to be considered real sin

The night has come as black as the coffee that you don't drink
drowning the rough reflections of your face
in it's deep and endless shadows
tossing the boughs of the cottonwoods against this empty house

I am hunting
lest I be hunted,
the thieves of the shadows
who steal into my bedroom and dance away with my dreams
the ones who haunt me in the taunting hours after midnight and before the soft creases and safe shadowless reaches of dawn

Dark in their shadows
they wait for me
But tonight, 
I await them

Too long have my eyes stayed shut
too long have my lungs simply exhaled
And not screamed
too long have my hands been limp and callus
too long my mouth has been dry and quiet, 
my heart waiting
for.. Something

I speak against the silence..

Bring me your shadows,
bring me your dancing regrets
bring me your eye sores and your no mores
and I will bring you my debts 

One hand on my heart 
pounding away beneath my birdcage bones
and the other on my mind,
my words sharpened like dark onyx stones

The wind howls away outside 
The rain against the glass
I wait in the cover of darkness
Somehow, simply, unafraid 
at last



Popular Posts