ribcage. heart.


The homeless man is dancing
pulling a mouthful from his dark and stormy,
black, plastic bag

The couple next to me are laughing,
her nails, painted, red
I can feel the sex between them, 
yet unspent, 
like the roll of twenties I didn't know I had.

And the A train rolls me home, 
swaying like some lady beneath the moon,
drunk, on cheap red wine and the heady scent of a
rich man's sweet perfume.

I have seen more faces in this day,
strangers more than friends, 
than I have seen in one whole month, 
in the life I used to live

But no matter how I try to hide, 
or blend in with the walls, 
inside my ribcage heart is a voice
so strong it calls;

Like the deep shadow of night against the morning, 
or the familiar reaching of a hand
like the love in homemade stitches
and the deep and gentle kiss of a good man

it calls me deep inside
the dreams 
yet unmet, 

and love,
 yet unplanned. 

Popular Posts