Aspen leaves and october skies


Sun light reaches elegant fingers through the trees in the Carbondale park, lighting up the yellow of the autumn turning ash tree and the still emerald of the grass. Fairy bugs float lazily on the air, looking like some kind of dream manifested into reality. The soft lyrical sound of mexican crooning drifts across the park, accompanied by the shouts and laughter and whistles of the many families playing soccer and swinging on the jungle jim. I sit on the hard cement of the sidewalk my back resting on my car. My body a little weary form the recent weekends and time spent in different time zones and with different friends and in different peoples shoes.

Last night was the third night of the Aspen Blues Recess, I found my fellow dancers in a three story house in the mountains underneath the harvest moon blazing almost neon across the sky. Dancing commenced until 3am and then it was a drive back up the windy and pot holed dirt road back up to the camp site, a grove of golden fledged aspens by a small pond in the woods.

I fell asleep in a pile, laying with Sasha and Bruce like spoons in a drawer on top of so many blankets and mattresses in the back of Bruces truck. I fell asleep giggling, and feeling very loved.

I woke up cuddled on both sides. I woke up to the view of autumn sky, so blue and clean it almost reaches for you and the golden stars of the quivering aspens high lighted against it. I woke up and was fed banana bread and tea. I was cuddled, and there was laughter. and it was of such delight to help restore faith in this community sometimes I feel so far away from.

Popular Posts