A little bit of recently

The world is new as new adventures spur me forward.

I am sitting in the Whole Foods cafeteria in Boulder, CO. The hussel of the early lunch crew around me; beautiful earthy people in athletic garb, eating salads and gluten free cookies while they talk over their young children and where the best place is to take their new friends bouldering up the creek.

I feel like a fly on the wall, my laptop blending me in with the other techies and making my corner occupied, but not interesting. My breakfast is still half eaten beside me, brown cow maple yogurt and fresh fruit from their kick ass salad bar. I got here early, in search of a wifi connection and a place where I could charge my phone and regroup.
I spent last night in my car, the first time I have converted my backseat/way back into a sweet chariot for sleeping-- next time I think a pillow and some actual padding will make the experience a little more enjoyable- but non the less I slept and woke up before the school busses started discharging children to the park and school next to my friend of a friend's house.

So life, it's been a while between blog posts here and even the ones I do post are not always very comprehensive, more like trying to read in between the lines of fancy cursive writing with a single candle for light. I know, I like to be vague, it somehow helps with the 'he's' and 'me's' and 'she's' in my life, because I am always processing and always building on myself and working through the things that are and have been a part of me. Which don't generally help with pointing fingers or potentially hurting people that way.
But today I am actually adventuring, so I have solid data -with -a -soul to impart.

This past weekend was the Breckenridge Festival of Film.
Our film 'No Strings' got picked up and entered, even after the dead line had passed, even though we hadn't actually entered it.
Hahah, I know right? Okay here, let me explain: A couple from Breckenridge came to our local Paonia Film Festival and saw it and happened to be in part, in charge of the Spiritual section of the film festival in Brek, and so they asked if they could put it in their festival.
Of course we could hardly be more excited, practically being discovered!
Man the film festival this past weekend was a trip.
So many accomplished film makers mingling and talking and exchanging contacts and sips of wine and inspiration. Jordan (my brothers childhood friend and our cinematographer for 'No Strings') and I were the lucky ones available that weekend to go, so we got invitations to all the private filmmaker parties and a fancy condo in the Hyatt for four nights free of charge and VIP passes that stated we were filmmakers.
     For anyone who hasn't seen our film effort this year, it's based on a story my mother wrote over twenty years ago, my brother Logan and I read it, deconstructed it and reshaped it into a screenplay. Then my other brother Cooper, joined us along with Jordan and we all sat down and thought out how we wanted it done.
I ended up staring in it and my dad, Eric, actually plays my father in the film.
We also collected a few other talented individuals from our valley and begun our shooting process.

I won't bore you with those details.

But we came out in the end with a 13 minute film about a young woman's journey down a road with a kind stranger and her delight and struggle to choose things that will define her life, even unknowingly.

We are planning on entering this film in a few more film festivals so it's not available to see on-line yet, but I'll be sure to post it when it does.

So back to the film festival, I got to play the part of a celebrity for a little bit; I was walking into the bathroom stall and as I went in, the woman coming out recognized me, and was like "Hey it's that girl from that movie!" an odd moment under any circumstances, but especially when I was about to pee.

I think the thing that struck me so much about this weekend, was feeling proud of what I do; whether it's the off the grid way I exist, or the way I try and live with compassion and an open heart, or the films I act in, edit, write and film and work on.
It feels good to be proud of the work you do.
It was also really wonderful for me to not feel like I had to defend myself as a filmmaker, it was accepted, it was clear and marked on my VIP badge and that was my face, my name, lit up on that silver screen.
     I know this may sound rather conceited, but for me, especially this last year, I have been working so carefully, to rebuild the structure I hang my heart on; my confidence, and my self delight and appreciation which I believe is key for a whole kind of life. -I'm not talking about a fake kind of self bolstering, I am talking about the deep knowledge of loving yourself - through anything- that's what makes you strong and makes you be able to feel compassion in magnitudes and also be able to feel strongly.
And of course, it's always wonderful when it's recognized by the outside world.
Also for me growing up as the youngest in a family of incredible artists, it's sometimes hard to see your own shadow when you feel the sun is blocked out by the shadow or my incredible and incredibly tall brothers.

So anyways. The Brek film Fest. Incredible.

Yesterday I drove to Boulder and met up with a friend for lunch and some lazy conversation by the pool. Afterwards there was meeting up with my friend Daryl and an adventure in his new VW Vanagon (with hard wood floors!) up boulder creek and a dip into the magic of mountain waters. Butterfly dust on the palms of my hands and then planning our first private lesson over burgers at a restaurant on Pearl Street.

And then we taught our first private lesson. Ah! It actually went really well, I definitely have things to work on, but I discovered I love having a partner to teach with, it makes everything so much easier.. kinda like life, I suppose- there is four arms to carry the weight of life together, rather than just two.

There was more, but I am just about done with my typing time, I am trying to find a place to park my car in Denver, since I fly out tomorrow morning for Northern Cali and all the wonderful adventure and people that await me there. Including my darling Andrea getting married! Goodness. Love is good.




Popular Posts